Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Why Super Models Should Envy Horses

Well, some horses anyways, ones like mine who seem to have the ability to lose weight in the blink of an eye or the snap of a cold spell at least.

I took these pictures of Loki just after Christmas:
At least he is still nice and shiny in his winter coat!

Sporting his Back On Track easy wraps.


Whatcha doin' Mom?
His weight really doesn't look so bad here. But I was out to check on him again this past Sunday and there was a remarkable difference. I was hoping that he would be an easier keeper this winter compared to last but it doesn't seem to be going that way. Unfortunately the lighting was not conducive for picture taking so I didn't get any. I will be back out tomorrow and get some photos then. I think I'm going to try to take pictures at least once a week to compare and keep track of what his weight looks like. I'm very anxious to see how he has fared through this frigid weather. I know horses are more equipped to handle this kind of weather than we are but it has still worried me.

And my plan for now is to buy my own hay to supplement what Loki is already getting. I know more than anything extra hay will make the difference in how well he keeps his weight. So hopefully sometime this week Jay and I will be finding and picking up some extra bales. I don't have all the details worked out yet but hopefully it will work. 

10 comments:

  1. Hope you get the weight back on him! Hay is a much better choice than upping grain. I see a lot of people do that, but more hay is better. Unfortunately, Shyloh does not have the easy weight loss problem. She likes to pack it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get the weight back on him! Hay sounds like a great idea I know Karley does that with her horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy extra hay for Miles every month and always throw him extra flakes when I'm out. Hopefully that helps Loki too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for hay in addition to whatever other feed he is getting :) Our barn charges crazy extra for more hay so I buy my own and give Henry an extra flake (cheaper to buy my own).

    I am sure you will get the weight on him in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be much cheaper to buy my own hay too.

      Delete
  5. Weight is frustrating and it seems to fluctuate so fast with some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh him and wiz too... it got cold and SNAP, weight gone. I wonder if the EPM crap will always make that difficult... wiz use to stay fat! and they are also TBs, just a bad combo all around lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every fall I will continue to hope that maybe this winter Loki will be able to maintain his weight like the "other" horses. You never know, it could happen.

      Delete
  7. Can you throw a roundbale in his paddock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No unfortunately he goes out in a pasture with about four other geldings and he is not top of the food chain. Otherwise I would totally do that, much easier.

      Delete