Thursday, February 13, 2014

Gravity

It gets us all eventually.

So the saddle was a bust, sadly. I tried very hard to make it work. I wanted it to work because quite frankly it is, so far, the most comfortable saddle I have ever sat in. When they say "buttery" soft leather they aren't kidding. Unfortunately I knew within about five minutes that it just wasn't going to work. Even with fiddling with padding I was being pitched forward in the saddle causing me to ride in a chair seat, something I struggle with under the best of circumstances. Insert big ol' frowny face here.

However, not to be kept down long (take that gravity!) I found my way to a local tack store. I really don't know why I haven't done this a long time ago. I think having lived out of the country for two years I just got very used to buying online and didn't even think about it. The owner was extremely helpful and they had several used saddles to look at. Of course none of them were perfect but there is one I brought home to try. It's a Prestige. The flaps are still a little too long but the angles fit right and it is a medium and looks like it could be a good fit for Loki. And, the nice thing about trying a saddle from the local tack trunk: I don't have to pay any shipping fees! <SCORE!>
Not this exact saddle but very similar.
If this saddle doesn't work then the tack shop owner and I came up with some alternative plans to try. So... hopefully in the near future I will have a saddle that fits!

This was an expensive learning experience but at least I did learn some things. I have a better idea of what it is I really need and I've also realized that I need to be more open to other brands of saddles that might not be as "in" or, sadly, maybe not as buttery soft :( but that could work really well for me and still be in my price range. So hopefully more updates on this in the future.

Oh and Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow.
Horses really make every holiday better.

22 comments:

  1. The buttery soft leather sounds divine! I have a Michael Whittaker (I think it comes under the Trainer brand which could be a kiwi brand) that encourages me to sit so well and has a lovely soft seat, but the flaps are definitely not buttery soft. Good luck finding the perfect mix of the two! I adore Prestige saddles so hope you’re onto a goodie :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of the Whittaker saddles but I've never seen one in person. There are so many lovely saddles out there surely I'll be able to find one eventually!

      Delete
  2. Aw man, sorry to hear about the saddle! Hopefully this one works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooo, that's too bad. I hope this one works well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a little disappointing but thanks!

      Delete
  4. Boo about the saddle!!

    I'm sure you will find something soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sucks about the saddle *SadTimes*
    Hope you find something even better in the alternatives!

    PS: Love the horse head image at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it stinks it didn't work out. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Saddle fitting issues are awful! It took me forever to find one to fit my no wither, flat across the top, currently downhill gelding, so I feel your pain. Out of curiosity, which tack shop did you go to? I know of Tack Trunk and Mcauleys, is there one a little north that I don't know of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go to the Tack Trunk. There is another nice tack store in Beavercreek called Tacky horse but they don't sell quite as many saddles.

      Delete
  7. Ugh -- so sad the Devoucoux didn't work out :-(

    BUT I just bought a Prestige that I LOVED so I hope you like this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was pulling for that lovely monoflap, too. Oh well. Glad you have such a solid local option. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it would have been so nice. :( But, having a local place to work with will hopefully make things easier.

      Delete
  9. Sorry the saddle didn't work out - I know that I hated to sell my old saddle, the pessoa, because it was SO SO comfortable! But it just didn't work for eventing. No matter how hard you tried, it pushed you forward and your leg back. It was very much a hunter saddle. And I really needed something to help me have a more secure position. My Kentaur is still pretty comfortable, but not quite as comfortable! I've heard good things about the prestiges! They seem to be pretty popular right now. But I hope one way or another you find one that works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure hope I find something. The prestige is a bust already... same issue fits Loki alright but not me. My advice to everyone right now is don't be short! :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whew … finally caught up! :0)

    This is going to be a stupid question, I am sure, but why is it that so many jumpers have saddle fit problems? As an endurance rider, I had some saddle fit problems, but it didn't take too much to get them fixed, and I rode four different horses. As a dressage rider, I've had three dressage saddles (I kept upgrading), all of which fit my three different horses. My current saddle fits both my Arab and my OTTB. Are dressage saddles more forgiving, or am I just lucky?

    Do jumpers just use their saddles so much differently? What about them makes them so hard to fit? So many h/j bloggers have saddle fit issues that I wonder if it is the discipline that makes fit such an issue.

    I hope you can find something soon that suits both you and Loki. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't really answer for everyone but just for myself. When I rode endurance I never had saddle fit issues either and I'm not having saddle fit issues for Loki, ironically just about every saddle I've tried has fit him well enough. I'm just having saddle fit issues for myself and I think I would have a pretty hard time with a dressage saddle as well but the jump saddle is more important at the moment. Sometimes I think having saddle fit "issues" is the "in" thing to do, lol because it sure does seem like it is much more common now than it ever was before but I guess that is because we know so much more than we used to know.

      The reason I am having saddle fit issues is simply because of my size. I am 5'0" which is to say I am very short. Saddles that have a flap that fit me typically only come in kids sizes. A saddle that fits in the seat area almost always have flaps too long and this can definitely be a problem because it forces me to ride with my leg not in the correct position and it also inhibits me from really being able to use my leg. I've been able to get away with it for a long time but now that we are starting to do more jumping and hopefully higher fences having a saddle that really fits becomes more necessary. Unfortunately what I am finding is to get a saddle that really fits me I need something custom. Saddles that have been customed for someone my size are few and far between it seems.

      It's like I told my husband it isn't that a saddle is something magical that will suddenly make you ride like never before but having a correctly fitting saddle will certainly enable skills to come through without such a fight.

      Hope that answers your question!

      Delete
    2. and by customed I mean customized, lol! Look at me making up new words. :P

      Delete
  12. Aha! Perfect explanation, and I think you're right. It does seem as though saddle fit is the "in vogue" problem of the day. :0) I do feel your pain at least somewhat; i am only three inches taller and I have a devil of a time with stirrup leathers. I am ALWAYS at the top hole. :0) best of luck and thanks for offering an explanation!

    ReplyDelete