Monday, February 3, 2014

Hit or Miss and Another Contest

Have you ever noticed, with blogging, that it is either hit or miss? I either have nothing to write about because it's been snowing and sub zero for a week or longer or I have so much to write about I'm going to forget half of it before I get it down. Or maybe that's just me?

Munchin' on my hay.
Today is definitely one of those days where I have so much I want to jot down but I know I've already forgotten most of it. For starters I was actually able to ride 3 days in a row this week! That's a first in I don't know how long. Of course they are predicting another big storm for Wednesday so I guess it is good that I got it in.

On Saturday there were two other ladies in the arena with me when I rode. I spent quite a long time warming Loki up and we all chatted for a while. At one point one of the ladies commented about how nice Loki was looking and said "you sure are patient with him." I must say of all the compliments someone could give me that is one of the best. Patience is hard work but I've been working hard for it. For one thing I've noticed that Loki just needs a decent amount of time to walk and trot around with no or minimal contact for warm up. I do try to get him to take the bit and stretch down but I don't really push it. I've just learned that he mentally does better when I give him that time to just sort of run around as he pleases. When I wait long enough and then start asking him to come forward and onto the bit I've been finding a pretty darn soft horse underneath me. It's really cool. The consistency is still a work in progress but seriously he has come a long way. 
After our warm up we've mainly just been working on transitions both within and in between gates with lots of changes of directions. I've even started schooling a few walk to canter transitions. I'm not sure if it is the appropriate time to start them but for whatever reason I've found that he's doing okay with them. What I like about them is it gives me time to really check my aids and make sure I'm asking correctly and Loki is starting to really use his butt more and jump into the canter instead of running into it with his tail end trailing behind. He still gets about one or two trot strides in before he canters but he is improving. I try to change it up as much as I can so that he can't anticipate what's next. He's really having to listen to me and he is actually doing it most of the time.
Still a bit ribby but not too bad all things considered.
We don't spend a bunch of time doing all this. In our little arena it gets boring pretty quickly so I'm trying to keep our rides short and focused. When we finished today I let Loki just walk around to cool off and he was so loose and his back started swinging so much that at first I thought there was something wrong with him. I have never felt him that loose before. I even jumped down and watched him walk around just to make sure I wasn't completely loosing it and had a lame horse but he looked fine.

Right now I feel like if Loki and I fail out of eventing we could definitely make a good go of a dressage career. I hate that we can't jump right now especially because of how poorly our last jump session went. I'm dying to start jumping again to find out if it was just a fluke or if we've really got some drastic studying to do. At this rate, with the weather, I'm not sure how we're even going to be ready for our first event. Winter please go away!!!

Anyways if you made it this far you are awesome! :D  And, be sure to check out this contest going on over at Adventures with Shyloh. Lots of cool things to be won!

10 comments:

  1. I can agree with the hit or miss as far as blogging!! Here's hoping that this winter storm misses us! I am sick of ice and snow. Patience is a big thing for me right now....hopefully I can be as patient with mine as you are with Loki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is hard but so rewarding. You can do it!

      Delete
  2. His weight looks great!! He's even got a belly lol!!

    Yay for 3 days in a row!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do love that little belly. :)

      Delete
  3. Woohoo for three days in a row & good sessions no less. Short & sweet is best when it's going well.
    What a lovely compliment from that other rider, I can imagine the glowing warm fuzzies that accompanied it.

    Battle dowb the hatches for storm tomorrow, I hope it passes quickly without too much disruption to saddle time :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It did bring about quite a bit of warm fuzzies. :)

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't get discouraged about jumping yet... Wiz and I are always up and down. He'll be fantastic one day, then he'll be rushing everything and throwing himself over the jumps. Sigh. But thank you for reminding me I need to be more patient... I've been better about walking for a while to warm up, but I still think I rush the contact. Probably best to let him warm up on a loose rein like you've mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is just hard not to get discouraged especially when you have to wait so long... wait, wasn't this post something about patience!?! Ha! But, seriously I am hoping we will be able to work through this because I'm really excited for this summer's season.

      Waiting to take contact has really helped Loki have a better attitude I feel like but I'm not sure if it would be as big a deal to another horse.

      Delete
  5. My blogging is hit or miss too. When I have a lot to say, I will write posts in advance that aren't time sensitive. That way I have lots of content for days when I don't feel like writing anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find a way to record my thoughts as I'm riding. I seem to lose many of my great ideas in transit from the barn to home. :)

      Delete