Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Old Doc Miller

Happiness is a consequence of the circumstances of life. The episodes that we live through each day determine our state of happiness, but joy is a product of the indwelling Christ. It does not depend upon the things of life that make us happy. Joy can overcome the situations that make us unhappy. ~ Old Doc Miller from Prayers and Prescriptions
Have you ever been deeply impacted by someone's life? So much so that you know it has changed you in some way that maybe you can't even fathom? This is how I feel about old Doc Miller. I wrote about his passing nearly two years ago here. Forgive me if this post is a little religious in nature but Dr. Steve was a devout Christian and it is impossible to share about him without sharing some of his faith.

Dr. Steve's son, Dr. Josh is my small animal vet so I still go to Dr. Steve's old clinic from time to time and I still see his widow who works as a receptionist. I was there yesterday and saw that they were selling a book in Dr. Steve's honor and I bought a copy. I read it in one day and cried the entire time. I can't really explain why his life touched me so deeply but I have to share that it did.

At the end of the book his wife writes about how many lives he touched how over 2,000 people attended his viewing some waiting well over 3 hours to pay their respects and to tell his family how much he meant to them or helped them. (I know because I was one of them.) It made me think about my life and what I want it to be and I realized more than anything I want to touch other people's lives the way he did. I'm not a vet and I don't feel like I have any super important skills to share but everyday I want to do my best to see the needs in front of me and try to meet them as best I can. I want my life to be about more than just my own desires and dreams.

Sounds sappy I guess and believe me I don't need thousands of people at my funeral but I just want to honor Dr. Steve by living my life a little better than before. I share his faith and I want it to be more real to me because of him. So this is just my way of writing that goal down publicly.

You all know I love horses about as much as anything but sometimes I have to be reminded what is truly important in life, family, friends and a world in need. I am very thankful for the privilege of having horses in my life but I don't want them to become so important that they block out other important things. It can be a struggle to maintain that healthy balance and I'm glad I got this reminder.

2 comments:

  1. My aunt used to use Dr Steve as her regular vet. He was actually the one that came out when my cousin's old mare was PTS about fourteen years ago. Seemed like a great guy, I hadn't heard he'd passed. I will definitely have to check out his book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a super guy and the whole family is just really wonderful.

      Delete