Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Blog Hop: Whats In A Name (and enter this contest)

I know I know I was supposed to write about our XC schooling day... but... I'm still tired and more importantly I want to participate in another fun blog hop courtesy of Viva Carlos. :)

Everyone has a story to tell and in blog land, most of us have stumbled upon each other mid-sentence, so-to-speak.  
What is the story behind your blogname/url?

I started this blog in the beginning of 2012. I was in Japan, horseless and not so happy. I had started off casually reading a few blogs a few years before the first one of those being Flying Solo. But when I moved to Japan the blogs I read were like lifelines to another world that seemed so far away and that I was desperately missing. Pretty soon just reading and commenting on blogs wasn't enough. I wanted to "talk" about horses. My husband tried to be a good listener but it still just wasn't enough. So I finally decided to stake my own little place on blogger. (I never dreamed anyone aside from a few close friends and family would ever come here and the purpose was truly just an outlet for me to "talk" horses as if to an invisible friend.)

My blog, Keep It Low Key is not actually named after my horse even though my blog and Loki's show name are the same. The blog had the name first which maybe makes me a little weird, I don't know. How it happened was I had no horse but I had lots of time to daydream about my future horse and part of that dreaming was coming up with the "perfect" name.

Something I've always struggled with is my nerves be they show nerves or just the nerves that come from doing something outside my comfort zone. I had watched a Daniel Stewart clinic the summer before and he talked about how words have power and we need to try to use words that will get us closer to where we want to be instead of words that will impact us negatively. Well I wanted to be calm, cool and collected every time I rode. I wanted to keep things "low key" and fun and relaxed and laid back like a night out with good friends. And just like that I found the "perfect" name, for me anyways.

When I bought Loki his barn name was Frankie and his JC name was/is Too Many Whyz and I did feel some pressure to not change his name. Some folks consider it bad luck to change a horse's name but in the end I stuck with my plan and as for the barn names I thought Loki and Frankie are not all that different surely it will be easy enough for him and everybody else to get used to. And I loved the idea of playing with the words low key and Loki the god of mischief. It was just fun and I am really glad I stuck to it because at this point Loki is Loki as if he's always been and I feel like that makes him more mine somehow. Probably a little silly but there you have it. :)
For better or worse we are a team.
Also I keep forgetting to share this really cool contest from She Moved to Texas. Win a free one month to Equestrian Coach. And if you aren't reading She Moved to Texas yet you really should be!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling your story.. it wasn't the one I thought it was... It was better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its only bad luck to change a horses name if they already have points or a show career. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he definitely never had a show career or points with his previous name but he did win around $17K on the track. I guess we'll take our chances, though. :)

      Delete
  3. Loving L's blog hops as we're learning even more fun facts about fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! These have been a lot of fun.

      Delete
  4. Interesting! Love his racing name too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having so much fun learning about everyones' blog names. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always liked your blog name; it is a great philosophy! It took me an embarrassingly long time (especially since I've read American Gods!) after you bought/renamed Loki to figure out that he is also "low key"...

    ReplyDelete