Thursday, March 20, 2014

Holy Soreness Batman!

Not Loki, me. I've been a good girl and gone to the gym every day except Monday this week. I've run and been on the elliptical and since I've been going with my husband I've also done some lifting; chest, shoulders, back and arms. Add all that to riding (two horses today!) and all the sudden I am feeling very sore! It's a good soreness, though and I'm feeling pretty good, other than the soreness.

I had a lesson today and it went pretty well. Loki and I were able to put an entire course together today and we raised a few of the fences up to 2'3" all without rushing which I will be happy to call progress. Our trouble is not the actual jumping it is everything that happens before and after we jump. Again, when our turns are good our line is generally good when I don't ride the turns well, i.e., lean in or let Loki get too bent then our line is not so good because he comes in unbalanced.

We also worked on walk to canter transitions, before we jumped. My trainer suggested that this exercise would serve us better than worrying about our leads. According to her 99% of our issues come from Loki being on his forehand and unbalanced so exercises that make him have to rock back and use his hind end are really good for us.

And in a moment of double awesomeness it worked out that I was able to ride my trainer's horse (and Loki's half-brother) Monte. It was a great learning experience. At first I rode him without my trainer present and I was having a hard time putting him together. It was very frustrating! Then when my trainer showed up she talked me through it and just like that I put him together in less than a few minutes. This is both great and annoying. On the one hand I was able to do it on the other hand I'm disappointed that I needed to be talked through it. But, oh well it was a very good learning experience anyways.

And sorry no pictures. :(

But I took Loki's braids out. So far his mane is staying on the right but it isn't laying as flat as I would like so I'm going to give it a few days and see if it stays put.

18 comments:

  1. Love that sore good feeling!!

    Great job riding 2 horses girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My old trainer owned Oscar's half brother for a time too - funny when similarities like that crop up!
    Sounds like a good ride on Loki - have you heard of a mane tamer? You put them on under a neck rug and they encourage the mane to lie really flat, even when you take them off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of a mane tamer. I don't think we'll need one as of right now but thanks for the tip. :)

      Delete
  3. Sore muscles, happy pain! Isn't that true! I need to be better and go to the gym more often. I'm pretty good at running outside on days when I'm not riding, but I should be going to the gym to life weights, eliptical too. Good for you for committing to your physical health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Having a husband in the military who has to stay fit does help. We are able to go to the gym together and he keeps me motivated.

      Delete
  4. Get you gym'ing & riding multiple horses on top of your already hectic schedule - #envious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wouldn't be able to do it all if I were working full time on top of it. I don't know how some of you guys do all the stuff you do and where you find the time!

      Delete
  5. I've been battling muscle soreness since my fall :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely not happy pain. :( My shoulder does still twinge quite often when I work out but at this point I'm at the "screw it" and work through it stage. Hope you feel better soon!

      Delete
  6. Soreness from working out is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love being muscle sore, lol.

    My favorite easy engagement exercise is trot/halt/trot. It does wonders for getting them to sit down, plus it's fabulous prep for dressage tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we incorporate that a lot too!

      Delete
  8. Wizard's mane falls to the left, and so did my old horse's (who was AMAZING) so I just take it as a sign that it means they are special horses and leave it that way ;) very impressed with your work out regime! I need to get back on track... but school has kept me so busy I just really haven't had time :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go back and look at pictures of Wiz to see that his mane does indeed fall to the left which just goes to show me that most of us don't even pay a lick of attention to what side the mane falls on. My trainer is funny about it, though and the braiding seems to have done the trick pretty decently so I guess it's not that big of a deal. And Ghazal's mane falls to the left too. Maybe it is a sign!

      Delete