Sunday, March 23, 2014

Still Working on Slow But Forward

Loki and I did some jumping yesterday and while it wasn't terrible it still isn't where we want it to be. On the plus side we raised the jumps to at least 2'6" maybe even 2'9" and the height didn't bother me at all. I was way too busy trying to contain my charging freight train. I kept telling him "hey there was another stride in there somewhere!" My trainer mentioned that every time we make things a little harder or push him a little more he responds with getting heavy and wanting to run. It's like his default answer. By the end of our lesson he was much better and we were even able to add a stride instead of leave one out. So I am hopeful that we are still heading in the right direction but we still have our work cut out for us.

Today I got on and rode for just a short time and got very nice trot and canter work from him. We were joking that a dressage test is just about three minutes. Just three minutes, buddy, can you give me just three minutes? :)

It was very warm after our jump lesson (nearly 70!) and Loki was a super sweaty mess so he got a quick bath. It's nice to have a semi-clean horse again. He's still losing that winter coat but the shininess of summer is coming. I'm not sure how obvious it is from these photos but his neck is super dark right now as he is losing his winter coat.
Drying out after his bath. (His mane is still staying to the right.)
You got cookie, Mom?


20 comments:

  1. He looks great! Nicely muscled and I love the shading of his coat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are legit jump heights! Good for you for not being bothered :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was nice to not be bothered by them for a change.

      Delete
  3. He is looking so awesome!! Ooh la la muscle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loki looks amazing!!

    Sweaty horse, good ride and a bath- sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a couple of amazing days!

      Delete
  5. So ready for the summer coats! His looks like it'll be really nice :) I remember Wiz would barely go anywhere and now I can't get him to slow down! I was trying to practice my sitting trot while my really advanced dressage rider friend helped me and I couldn't get him to go slow enough to practice! He had two speeds: super speedy trot, or walk. At our last test she wrote "clearly forward but work on a steady rhythm". I feel like the "clearly forward" was a backwards compliment lol. Speedy little TBs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I like the "clearly forward" "compliment" Sounds just like Loki.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Don't worry it didn't last long. It snowed today!

      Delete
  7. It's nice to get that first bath after the winter! Whoo- on to Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first bath is such a great feeling! Too bad it snowed a couple of days later, but oh well... at least he is clean for a little while!

    ReplyDelete