Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The In Between

After our very beautiful weather of last week it snowed today. :(  But, I rode anyways. I've ridden every day this week. Loki and I had two really nice rides yesterday and the day before. Just flat work but it was soft and still forward, so nice that I cut our rides pretty short as a reward. I'm finally starting to get more pieces to the riding puzzle. Part of finding certain pieces is being able to separate your body parts and that is always a challenge. When I loosen my joints and stop gripping with my knees amazingly my hands get softer and Loki's canter gets tons better but I have to keep my joints loose without completely losing my leg, something about not riding like a monkey I think.

As for jumping I'm still looking for that elusive in-between. If I try to hold Loki too much he grabs the bit and charges but if I'm too loose and don't ride at all he gets flat and behind my leg. Somewhere right in the middle is that sweet spot. We hit it on occasion. We'll have a line that rides nearly perfect and it's because I've found that middle ground of riding but not over riding. Why oh why is that in-between so hard to find? I tell you this horse, this horse is going to make me a better rider... eventually. In an ideal world I would have another year or two of riding a made horse over jumps to really solidify my knowledge and confidence but this isn't an ideal world and Loki and I just have to make do. I do feel like we are making progress but it definitely isn't always linear.

I don't know when I will have a chance to get action photos so until then here are a couple of confo shots I tried to get. I really can't wait until we lose the last of this winter coat!

Pre-bath. The ground slants slightly.
After bath and some mane pulling. It's starting to shape up.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm pretty happy with his coat especially considering it is still a lot of winter coat on there!

      Delete
  2. Hey, at least it's not a nasty yak coat! Glad riding is starting to come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks great!! yay for some great rides!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby steps and tinkering to get the feel right are what make us better riders...or at least that is the pep talk i give myself regularly when i ride like a pillock the day after having had a great session. Sadly horses (and indeed riders) are not machines, we all have good and bad days - finding the balance between the two and isolating consistency is what makes it all worthwhile...or so i keep telling myself, ;)

    Loki looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... finding that balance and therefor the harmony is one of the best things about riding!

      And thanks!

      Delete
  5. I guess I commented on your previous post too soon :). The elusive middle is why we keep riding right? But it would be so nice if it appeared more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the snow and cold was an unwelcome return, but it is supposed to warm up again next week. Spring will get here eventually, one way or another.

      I agree it would be nice if I could find the middle more often!

      Delete
  6. Pretty Loki! I wish Oscar's winter coat was a bit more like Loki's.
    Good that you're starting to get better rides, I feel ya on finding the middle ground in jumping!

    ReplyDelete