Wednesday, March 5, 2014

'Tis The Season For Keeping Your Mouth Shut

That's right ladies and gentleman hair is a flying everywhere right now so unless you want to eat it keep your mouth closed while grooming!

The road trip was a lot of fun yesterday saw lots of nice things but managed to stay strong and not buy anything except some used paddock boots for my daughter that ended up not fitting. Oops!

I rode today and Loki was so good. Definitely it was one of those rides that just leave you feeling like rainbows and roses. I do believe my horse is finally learning how to soften, especially his jaw which means less stiffness in his back. Certainly lots more work to be done and we aren't consistent yet by any stretch but truly some moments of connection that just feel amazing. And even at the canter a couple of times I felt him soften for a bit. This is by far his hardest gate and all the cantering and transitions we've been doing are finally starting to pay off I think. I should actually get a lesson this week and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm also very excited about the 10 day forecast at the moment. It looks like there might be some outdoor riding in our near future!

Tomorrow we might go skiing, though. Not entirely sure but that's what we are thinking so we'll see how that goes. No photos of the hairy, dirty beast today but I did find this old gem. This was my very first time ever schooling cross country and I ended up taking a bath right after this photo was snapped. The horse I was riding, Bugs leaped into the water when I was totally not expecting it. This was in Washington state and it was VERY cold water, lol. And this is also part of the reason why I get so worried about any kind of down banks!

12 comments:

  1. What a cool picture! The first time schooling cross country caught on film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, the picture is fun but if you get really close up on my face you can see the look of fright. :)

      Delete
  2. Top tip to keep mouth shut, hair EVERYWHERE!
    I'm delighted to hear that outdoor riding and lessoning is on the horizon - have fun. :-D
    Well done you on being good at tack store, I rarely am! :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, the hair is really flying now. I'd almost forgotten how much there is during shedding season!

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed with your forbearance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the moment you hit the cold water and it just floods into your boots and through your clothes and everything! Ugh! It’s a good job cross country is fun  Awesome photo!
    That’s great that Loki is softening in the canter, it’s a whole new feeling when your horse softens they feel like a different horse! And massive YAY that you guys look like you’re going to get some good weather haha so deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the water was shocking to say the least and the bottom of the water was pretty rough. I have another picture somewhere of the huge cut on my arm from where I fell. At the end of the day I still love it, though because it really is fun!

      Delete
  5. I'm hating grooming right now. My face for some reason gets plastered with hair, as do my gloves, which means when I wipe my face it does nothing. Time for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Even when you are careful to keep your mouth closed I still end up with hair in my mouth!

      Delete
  6. I did not follow your advice last night, foolishly, and was spitting hair for 45 minutes. It's always that one persnickety one that just won't. go. away.

    ReplyDelete