Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Blog Hop: Our Commercial Moment

Honestly with Equine Affaire tomorrow (eeeee- can't wait) this particular blog hop comes at a great time. My funds are really limited right now due to wanting to show and I need some help reminding myself why I shouldn't be spending money on things unless I really need them! (Need of course being a sometimes subjective word!)
Our Commercial Moment
What are you buying next? Not your "Wish I could" list but your actual practical pony shopping list. And if its a high ticket item you are saving for what is it and when do you expect to order/get it?

The things I have on my "to buy as soon as I can" list are:
  1. A new myler combination bit. I've been borrowing my trainer's bit for jump schooling but eventually I need to get my own. I've been waiting, though, to make sure I really 'need' this particular bit (it is pricey!). I'm still on the fence, though, because lately I've had some fabulous jump schools just riding in our plain old snaffle. 
  2. A Micklem bridle. If I do end up using a different bit for jumping then I really need to invest in a new bridle. Switching the bit out all the time is a pain in the rear. Plus I just really need another bridle. I know most of you all understand!
  3. MTG and sweet itch products for Ghazal. Really this should be my biggest priority. Spring is here and if I don't get on it my poor pony will have no mane and tail again all summer. I'm not sure if I will be able to make a whole lot of difference but I'm determined to try.
  4. Things for the trailer such as a muckbucket cart. This isn't necessarily a priority but since I will be taking my sister's trailer to most of my shows it would be nice to be self-sufficient and not need to borrow a bunch of stuff from my trainer all the time. 
For the long term I am saving up or at least I have plans to save up for a custom saddle. And finally, sometime next year before we move I will be making the very large purchase of a new-to-me trailer. With as much as we move having my own trailer just makes sense

Honestly I think that is it. There are a ton of things I'd love of course but for the first time in a long time I really don't need anything. It's a good thing, too because, I might have mentioned this before but, eventing is freaking expensive and these entry fees are going to kill me!! I'm not really complaining, though, because I am way too busy feeling thankful for the opportunity to actually show this year! Seriously, sometimes I do need to remind myself how lucky I am just to have horses in my life as much as I do, really lucky and blessed and I hope I never, ever take it for granted!

8 comments:

  1. Oh yeah my eventing trainer friend and I talked about it you guys spend as much money as we do on shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah I need to catch up!!! I'm so behind on your posts :( I totally bought that three ring bit though after trying it and then got it and it turned out to be terrible for him (sensitive guy!). so smart trying to figure out if you really need it first!! and those entry fees seriously are expensive.. and the travel...ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely good to make sure you need a bit before dropping a small fortune. As for micklem I saw a lightly used one on the English tack trader Facebook group so that may be worth looking into :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so sensible, I needs more of your logic in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to dream about the big purchases, but to be honest I'm with you-I'd rather be out showing and enjoying me horse with my money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think we all want custom saddles lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trailers are so expensive these days haha, but definitely makes sense to have your own if you're going to be out and about a lot! I can't imagine how much a custom saddle would be!!
    Eventing entry fees are outrageous, so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want another Micklem too....good stuff!

    ReplyDelete