Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Dragging Stifles

That is the opinion of the farrier on what is going on with Loki's feet. He came out and touched them up and is coming out on Monday again to redo his fronts and he'll touch them up even more.

The good news is that Loki is not tangibly sore anywhere as far as both my trainer and the farrier could tell. The more good news is that this is something completely fixable.

The bad news is I haven't been riding him from back to front enough. He is letting his hind end drag instead of pushing with it. This is extremely frustrating because I've been working so hard on this. I can't help but wonder if I pushed him a little too far and he got sore and tried to compensate or if he was just evading the hard work and I wasn't catching it?

The good news is that in my last two lessons he was cantering correctly and was very much so when we went XC schooling so he can do it I just need to make sure he does every time we ride. I will be scheduling several more lessons to make sure we're on the right track. We'll also be incorporating more pole work as well.

The vet is still coming out on Friday and I will have her check him out to see if she has a different opinion. If she agrees with the farriers assessment then we'll get back to work with a little more awareness of what the rear end is doing.

Thank you for all the comments on my last post. I'm sorry I haven't responded-I may or may not have been indulging in a little pouting/pity party. I really do appreciate all the kind words and advice, though. It is definitely one of those things that I have come to love about blogging, that is the support from you guys.

I did get to ride a super cute pony today and I rode Mote, Loki's brother from a different mother. I'll write about that soon. Right now I'm getting ready to go to bed because ROLEX IS TOMORROW!

Oh and be sure to check out Hilary's contest over on Equestrian At Hart!

9 comments:

  1. I have a thoroughbred gelding who had hind feet like Loki's at one point. I now suspect he has stifle arthritis. I hadn't ever put them together but it's definitely possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiction drags his hind feet but not due to stifle/hock soreness. Not sure why he does it, but he does. The best remedy I found is to push, push, push him but keep an eye on back soreness. Also lots of long & low work to build back muscle, and hill work to build up that hind end. It may just be a weakness in Loki, or it could be something more. I hope the vet news is good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you've mentioned but are you going to Rolex too?

    Good of you to get the vets opinion too. I'm sure you'll be able to work it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that the issues is fixable and not very advanced yet! And hang in there -- Loki is a long horse (nose to tail) and those are always the hardest to package and get to move correctly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you guys have hills? Hills help everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cavaletti helps too! I have similar problems and can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heres to getting him to quit dragging his toes! haha

    Yay that it isn't something "wrong" per say!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think "riding back to front" can be deceiving, because it also doesn't mean you can just drop the contact... which is what I found out the hard way at the kofford clinic. I think a lot of times I think "OH I DON'T WANT TO TOUCH HIS FACE I NEED TO ADD MORE LEG" but actually, that's not true. Just adding leg without proper contact just makes him drag his back toes faster ;P To get him to really engage his hind end, I actually had to use MORE hand. UGH, who knew!! But, it was all about releasing when he gave his back, and once his back was stretched out and we were on the contact, then he was actually picking his feet up! So it'll be interesting to see if this new way of riding helps him actually pick up his feet...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made L read your last post and he said it looks like Loki is dragging his feet - yay for nothing 'wrong' with him!
    For a quick fix, and it's entirely a personal decision, shoes can take some of the damage from the dragging. But obviously, nothing beats getting your pony moving correctly to fix the issue- difficult as it can be, I hear ya!

    ReplyDelete