Sunday, April 13, 2014

Poor White Guy

We had our first cook-out of the year over the weekend. 70+ degrees and it was beautiful despite a very strong wind. We were at my sister's place and a friend of mine that I used to ride with as a teen came over and my sister, she and I all got lots of horsey time while the guys cooked and did whatever else they were doing.

It seems as though my white guy got some rain rot over the past couple of weeks. I guess it has been at least five weeks since I had been able to make it out to check on him (bad Mom!) but in that time frame this happened:
It was crazy. His hair just came out as I was brushing him but it doesn't seem to hurt so I'm not positive that it is rain rot but I think it is or was at least. This was the only spot. I swear this poor old man gets every skin gunk there is. His sweet itch hasn't started up yet but I'm sure that is right around the corner. I've got some stuff coming to try and combat it but we'll see how it goes.

After a pretty thorough grooming which ended in Ghazal looking about 40% better and me looking like I took a bath in white hair we decided to give all the kids pony rides. Unfortunately the only pictures I have are from a friend from facebook and they are extremely poor quality.
Evie on my sister's mare, Sharea
Elaina on the Zel Bel
Weston on Zel
We had so much fun! My friend, sister and I are all planning on doing much trail riding together this summer, just like old times, I really hope it works out!

11 comments:

  1. That is really weird looking! Not sure what it is :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to get the vet out for shots here soon so I'll have him check it out then. It doesn't seem to be bothering him and there is no scabs or anything just literally the hair came right out as I was brushing him. It was super weird!

      Delete
  2. But glad you had a fun day with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really weird! Glad it's not painful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab family day out with friends, weird about G hope he heals up asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How weird! :( Poor guy! It could very well be some sweet itch going on, Red did the same thing last summer. Good luck figuring it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've seen anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's not rain rot - that is seasonal alopecia. Usually from not being able to have the temperature regulated properly. IE Not warm enough rug on - or rug remains unchanged and then the temperature climbs and horse still has a heavy rug on. Or the horse comes in at night into a warm barn and still wears its heavy rug. When spring comes..the hair just falls out. Don't stress, it will grow back fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird! They haven't had their blankets on for a couple of weeks at least. But glad to hear it is probably nothing too serious! Thanks!

      Delete