Friday, April 25, 2014

Rolex is Fun! and Hoof Update

First a quick hoof update. The vet agrees with the farrier and my trainer. What we have here is a failure to use our hiney! No, seriously, she checked him over and didn't feel like there were any underlying issues other than he just needs to strengthen his hind end. His stifles felt great and she gave the clear to get back to work.

What I need to remember is "jump first then slow!" What I mean by that is I got ahead of myself and got Loki going nice and slow, which felt great, but in so doing I lost the jump to our canter. He just isn't quite ready for that amount of collection. So today I rode him for just a short time and I made sure we had good jump in the canter and reminded myself what that feels like. He was faster but balanced. And of course we will try to find some hills to work on as well as some poles and if possible cavalletti. It's tempting to be mad at myself for this but fear not I have decided that as an amateur I'm simply going to learn from it and move on. :)

Oh and again thank you for all the comments on my last post! I am a bit behind with all the Rolex excitement, the vet visit and a bunch of grant apps I'm working on at the moment but I will try to get caught up as soon as I can!

Now on to the fun stuff!

I don't normally do stuff like this but I asked P. Dutty if he would mind if I got a picture with him. My exact words were, "I know I'm not a kid but... would you mind?" Ha! It was fun and since I never got to do any of this kind of stuff as a kid I'm telling myself it is okay to have a few fangirl moments. 
 Checking out the scoreboard in some new Rolex gear:
Hubby checking out some tractors/mowers:
As we were leaving we stopped by the main arena and watched some riders schooling:

Arthur and Allison Springer (In 1st place after Dressage! Go USA!)
 Caitlin Silliman and Catch a Star just as they were starting to warm up:
 I don't know who this rider is but I was trying to figure out what the yellow stripe is on the horse's neck. Unfortunately they never came close enough to get a good picture or view.
Conclusion: We had a blast. I am so excited for XC tomorrow! Coming up will hopefully be several posts reviewing new and fun things!

Go Eventing!

5 comments:

  1. The yellow stripe is probably Eqi-tape! http://equi-tape.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things:

    1, You should definitely not feel guilty about the hoof/butt thing, everything with horse's is a lesson of some sort!
    2, Yay for fangirling. I don't think you're ever too much of an adult to take a photo with your idol! If I saw Pippa/William Funnell anywhere I'd be selfie-ing with them so hard haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eep, I'm really jealous of Rolex! I'd fangirl, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the hoof stuff is sorted out!!! Or on the mend :)

    Oh Rolex, one day I'll get to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you had as much fun as I did!!

    ReplyDelete