Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Blue Ribbon You Do Not Want To Win

We had the Chiro visit today. Here are words you'd rather not hear from your Equine Chiropractor: "You win the blue ribbon for most f'd up horse in the barn." Yeah, really didn't want that one. But on the bright side everything seems to have been put back in place. The Chiro thought it was a result of the hard winter more than anything else. He says that at least part of our feet issues can be attributed to him being out in several places.

You know I don't know how much these kinds of things really help in the long run. I mean, I've seen a chiro myself once and I did get some good relief in the moment but I don't know how much long term good it did/does. But I don't think it hurt anything.

Loki got the day off to recoup and we'll be taking it easy tomorrow and Friday. Things have been insanely busy right now. It's hard enough planning to show one horse but for this weekend we are bringing 4 FFI horses because it is a TB show. So I'm trying to get things organized for all of us plus get my daughter ready for girl scout camp and my husband is leaving to to go out of town for a couple of days and my cat tried to rip half of his ear off... there may be more but my head is spinning at this point. Needless to say I'm a little stressed. But it's all good.

Loki and I spent 25 minutes walking after his adjustment.
Gimli came in like this. Poor baby!

17 comments:

  1. Poor kitty! How did that happen?
    I'm pretty sure my old guy Blue would have given you a run for that blue ribbon (navicular, cushings, other unexplained ailments)! They're worth it though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He came in like that. We've tried keeping him in the house and he'll have none of it so this is the price he pays.

      Totally worth it!

      Delete
  2. Oh kitten that looks so sore!
    And you're right, definitely don't want that ribbon, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I could have lived without this one, lol.

      Delete
  3. I saw a chiro for my back and it helped immensely. I haven't been back in months and I still have great relief. Also my horse is seen every 3 months or so and I notice a discernible difference each time. I was skeptical at first too, but it's worked for me/Fiction :) It should help with the dragging hind end - definitely let us know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hopeful and certainly willing to try and help him anyway I can!

      Delete
  4. We've used chiro and accupuncture to great effect on Ashke. I think the deep adjustment he got in November at the base of his neck was the last bit we needed.

    My holistic vet says that you get the feet and teeth right, the rest will follow.

    I think maybe your cat dodged a coyote bullet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi might have... he definitely dodged something!

      Delete
  5. Awww your poor cat! That looks like it stings :(

    I love the chiro, both for humans and horses! Hopefully Loki comes out of it feeling fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #kittygore! Wow!

    I am not entirely sold on chiro either. One woman at my barn has the chiro out once a month, and even that chiro says a lot of problems temporarily resolved by chiro are just caused by muscular imbalances that could be permanently corrected with some serious work, and the fact that she isn't resolving those underlying issues is why he comes out monthly. But, I've never had it done on either me or Connor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's tough because you'll get differing opinions even from different chiropractors. I did experience good relief the one time I did go to a chiropractor though so I figure it's worth trying.

      Delete
  7. It's always tough to hear stuff like from the chiro, but the important thing is that you're doing everything you can to keep Loki happy, healthy and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I feel like we may have won that award! If I were to do a pre-purchase on my horse now I think we'd get the blue ribbon for 'most sleeping lameness problems in a TB'. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. could be the EPM crap too- the massage therapist said wizard's hind right was all messed up but it was very typical of EPM horses- she said she saw pretty much the same thing in every EPM horse. weird. the chiro I had work on Wiz pre-epm treatment thought his back was messed up from improper saddle fit- nope! But good try. I only had the chiro out once, but I saw a big difference immediately after- obviously not a forever fix haha. If I had money I'd have a chiro and massage therapist out pretty regularly...

    ReplyDelete