Friday, May 2, 2014

Pick Your Poison

I'm wrestling with a decision and it is driving me batty. We have our show on Sunday and my ride time is at 9:30am. The show grounds are two hours away. I'm debating on whether or not to drive down tomorrow evening or get up at the butt crack of dawn and drive down on Sunday. Decisions, decisions...
Now, this decision seems much more fun to me!
If I leave tomorrow I'll be going by myself and I'll have two horses with me. This makes me very nervous. It's not like I haven't trailered by myself before but it has been a while and I keep thinking of all the things that could go wrong along the way and I would be on my own. But the advantage is I would be able to get ready for my class in the morning with much less stress which in turn would make for a better class I think.

On the other hand if I drive down on Sunday I would be going with a group so much less stressful in that regard. But, I have the earliest ride time by about an hour so I'm super worried that we would be late. I don't think it would be "miss my class altogether" late but late enough that getting everything settled, Loki tacked up and warmed up would be one giant, stress filled, headache inducing, cluster which would probably not make for the best class in the world.

I probably won't decide until tomorrow. I still have to pick up a few things for the show and finish packing.

You know what I miss? I miss having a horse show Mom! Seriously, how nice is it to actually have someone to help you out and who cares whether or not you are on time or stressed out? My Mom was a great horse show Mom, too because while she did come to most of my shows (okay technically not shows but my competitive trail rides) she wasn't one of those Moms who did all the work. I couldn't just hand her my reins and go grab a bite to eat but she was there for moral support and dang it I miss that! So here's a shout out to all horse show moms out there! You are awesome! And if you are lucky enough to have a horse show husband, significant other, friend, robot or minion well then count your blessings, seriously!

I need to get used to showing on my own, though, because that is just the way it will be most of the time. My trainer will be at the show, of course, but her attention will be very scattered between lots of other riders. So I guess it is time to put the big girl pants on and just do it. But, I'm curious if you show alone how do you keep yourself on track and together without any help? More importantly how do you keep yourself from freaking out when there is no one around to talk you down???
I caught Loki napping today and couldn't resist!
 I'll be off until at least Tuesday night so have a great weekend you all!

9 comments:

  1. I hear you on the trailer alone. I've always shown by myself and it's a worry with the trailer. What I do is have someone 'on call' so that if Im in a mess they can help. If it was me I'd go today so that I could be there already and not fret in the morning. Gives the horse and you time to settle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it were me a 9:30 ride time I would go today. I get the worries with hauling. I always haul and show alone but wouldn't you rather be stranded with a flat tire on the side I'd the road this evening with all the time in the world to sort it out than tomorrow morning? It should be fun and rushing in the morning will make it hard to enjoy.
    BTW I saw you mention being interested in the 3 day on flying solo. You should come out and volunteer at the IEA 3day at the end of the month. It is a fantastic way to learn how it works. I know they are still seeking volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look into the IEA 3day. I would love to volunteer if the schedule works out, thanks!

      Delete
  3. There's always something to think about. I normally go with hauling the day of...but that's just me. I'm blessed to have one best horse show buddy and we support each other as much as we can. It makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a good ride!

    Honorary show mom is one of my favorite roles. Really satisfies my make-order-from-chaos fetish. *g* But as a rider, I am pretty terrible at accepting help; I am like a toddler stamping my feet going, "Want to do it myself!" I feel like I can stay better-focused and -organized when I don't have to keep track of what somebody else is doing, where they're putting my stuff, etc. (Which is a big part of why, when I'm helping somebody else, my goal is to do it invisibly -- so things just happen without requiring any input from the rider.)

    My main freakout at-the-show coping mechanism is just walking. Walking, walking, walking, with a horse in hand or solo, until the edge is taken off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it went really well! I've never had a horse show Mom. My mom didn't ever go to shows, so I feel a lot more support with my trainer and barn family now than I ever did horse showing when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope that the show went well! I prefer going to shows the day before but thats just me ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always a fan of EXTRA EXTRA time so my vote would be going down saturday evening... even though you'd be alone, you might actually get more done ;)

    And I miss my horse show mom too! Since events are a weekend long, she doesn't get to go to all of them and when she does it's just a few hours. I just make sure to have everything packed and in place before-hand, and make sure to start getting ready in PLENTY of time before your ride time (that way when your horse busts free from his stall as you're slinging your saddle over his back, you have time to chase him down.... ha). Sometimes I even make a list beforehand of everything I need to pack. I make sure it's all organized and have my ride times on hand. I have everything clean and ready to go before getting to the event. All of that seems to help a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comments and advice guys! You all rock!

    ReplyDelete