Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Kicking On

Sorry it has been a while. A lot has happened but I find myself without a lot of energy left for blogging.

We ended up going to Midsouth last weekend after all because there is not going to be a traditional funeral for Jay's Dad. Instead we will be having a memorial service in July. The weekend was already planned and we decided it would be better to be doing something rather than sitting at home with nothing to do.

But let me first say Thank you for all the condolences. Your kind words were much appreciated.

So on to how the weekend went. I'm going to be as brief as possible so let's just say things didn't go so great for us.
No dressage pictures because Jay's camera battery died.
Dressage This was by far our worst dressage score we've received, I think ever. But I don't feel too horribly about it because there were a lot of mitigating circumstances. First of all my trainer brought Loki up on Thursday but I couldn't get there until Friday night so he was stuck in a stall for 24 hours. I rode him for about an hour Friday night and he was very high energy. Then he was in his stall again all night and still had tons of energy the next morning. In hindsight I wish I had gone ahead and found a place to lunge him before we rode. I think it would have helped.

The other factors that worked against us was warm-up. Dressage warm-up was just crazy and we got nearly run into about twice with one horse cantering past us so closely that I could have reached out and touched her with my foot still in the stirrup. Loki pretty much lost it at that point and I just never quite got him back.

Also, my trainer had her cross country round at the exact same time as my dressage so I had no help in warming-up. It is probably good practice for me but I think had she been there I would have been able to work through Loki's tension much better instead of just reacting with my own tension.

I still can't complain too much because despite being very tense Loki was still very obedient and we rode every movement even if it wasn't very pretty. We had one slight bobble where Loki broke out of our second canter early but that was mainly from me just not keeping my leg on. We scored a 42.5 and that put us tied for 7th.

Stadium Strangely stadium warm-up was much better for us. Loki was much more relaxed and I went into stadium feeling pretty confident. The course was mega simple. Unfortunately we had three rails. They were all my fault. Loki jumped the first fence beautifully but got a little unbalanced. I pulled him up before the second but once again forgot to add leg so he just got flat and hollow and never got his knees up. The same thing happened with the third fence. Fences four, five and six rode much better but I'm not sure what happened at fence seven. He spooked or something and deer jumped it which caused my left foot to come out of the stirrup. (Don't grab with your knee!) All of this carried over to fence 8 where we had our third rail.  Loki really wasn't bad. If I ever remember to just add lots more leg we are going to have an awesome round. Saturday just wasn't the day.
Sadly, one of our better efforts
Riding very defensively

Cross Country Well, what can I say about it? We had one run-out at the first of a three stride combination that was set on a downhill. I really can't blame my horse (again!) because I just wasn't supporting him with my leg nearly enough at all, especially because jumping downhill still freaks me out. But honestly most of the course went fairly well other than I am still freaking myself out thinking we are going mock 2000. Seriously I have visions of someone running after us, yelling that I am riding dangerously and out of control. However, Lindsey from Alchemy Eventing, whom I got to meet at Midsouth this past weekend (she is just as cool in person as she seems on her blog) happened to record the last part of my run and I have to say it left me smacking my head. We are going soooooo slooooow! I don't know what is wrong with me when I get on the cross country course but I have got to get past this. I need to let him run and use my leg to keep him from getting flat.


There was one fence we jumped that was amazing, though. It was a brush fence (#6). I was a little worried we'd stop at it because it looked huge but Loki locked on and we went right over and it felt freaking fantastic. I have a picture ordered of that fence but don't have it yet. The rest of these photos are all from Jay.
First fence
My favorite photo from Jay. Over the second fence
Third fence
Fence 9b
up the bank (11)
Last fence (17)
On the way home
At the end of the day we completed the event. We still have lots of work but as tempted as I am to be really bummed out about it I've decided I'm just not going there. I had a lot of fun this weekend. I battled nerves of course but in-between and after I really enjoyed myself. I will probably be taking a break from showing for a while aside from a few schooling shows here and there. I find myself feeling a little burnt out but still ready to battle back sometime in the future.

22 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Playing blog catchup. Even though there's room for growth it sounds like a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a lot on your mind too, don't count that out. I went through the same thing recently, even if you're not thinking about it, the horse can still feel it. It still seemed like a successful, educational and fun weekend! The courses look cool, I should try to go there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you should definitely do an event at the KHP sometime if you haven't. It's just cool to get to show on the same grounds as Rolex. :)

      Delete
  3. Agree with Jen, you had a lot going on for the weekend. Glad you finished though! I think you and Loki look good in the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great learning experience. Although it would have been nice to have an easy ride sometimes a more difficult ride is good thing - distracts us from other sad things in life. Good for you for finishing! And you got some cool photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am very happy with the photos. :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry it didn't go as planned but congrats on completing. And any day you walk away having learned something is a win in it's own way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Warm up is my least favorite thing ever. I've become a little bit of a b*tch during it because people just DO NOT pay attention, so I tend to shout things like "OUTSIDE" with this tone that means "pay attention to where the f you're going" before ever actually getting near to them. If I'm unsure where they're going, I say inside/outside loudly and then they at least pay attention to me being there. I use to be really quiet and not say anything, but that doesn't work when your horse is getting run over and freaking out. I kind of ripped into one lady sunday, which I felt bad about, but Wiz was having his melt down and she kept zipping right in front of us with no warning. I was trying to stay OUT of her way but when she changed directions without warning (and without it making much sense or being intuitive to where she was headed next) I just couldn't, so I finally said, kind of more meanly than I should have, "can you PLEASE tell me where you're going next?". But, after I did that, she did start calling her fences... thank you lady.

    Also I wish they had designated places to lunge, that part really gets me. It's hard for baby TBs to NOT lunge before riding! But there really aren't many good places, especially not actually near warm up, which kind of defeats the purpose. I really could have used some lunging to de-frazzel Wiz's brain before xc and stadium!

    That being said, we had the EXACT same ride stadium and xc, pretty much. I need to add way more leg and have way more pace. I feel like I am going so fast, and I'm crawling!! *smacks head*. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, warm-up is a real pain and I might have to start getting a little more aggressive about it if Loki continues to get freaked out like that.

      We'll both get there!

      Delete
  7. Nice Browband, BTW.

    Give yourself a break. Even if you hadn't had the issues with stalling and lunging, you would have still been carrying grief and our horses react to that. It is allowed to not be our best all of the time. I think it's amazing that you and Jay made it out of the house. Treat yourself with kindness and allow yourself to acknowledge that you had a lot going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, you survived and next time will go better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All caught up (I had to go back to the end of April - eek...holy backtracking batman!)
    Sorry to bear about your FIL *hugs*
    Onwards & upwards on events, you guys made great progress between first & second event - you'll get there. Keep chipping away at your goals and you'll be motoring in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and thanks for taking the time to catch up. :)

      Delete
  10. I had something similar happen in dressage warm up....such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, warm-up can really make or break a show sometimes but at the same time it is part of the whole thing so I guess we're going to have to figure out a way to deal with it or plan around it or something.

      Delete
  11. Hi!! We did meet at MayDaze!! I am Lori's friend from Findlay. So good to meet you and it's way more fun to hang out with the eventers! :) Hope to see you guys at another event soon! You look awesome in the photos!

    ReplyDelete