Thursday, July 3, 2014

VCBH: Interested Parties

"So way back in week seven of this tortuously long blog hop I have going we talked about the Pros of our current horse. Some of us experienced these pros after buying our horse. Now I am curious, what made you interested in your current horse that lead you to buying them in the first place?"


Vival Carlos has given us several fun blog hops. I haven't been able to participate in all of them but thankfully this one came at a good time where I actually have both the time and energy to participate.

I think I've already written about this a little before but it is still fun. Why did I, ultimately, decide to buy Loki?
One of my very first rides on the boy
Let's look at the facts:
  1. Loki can be handsome but really he is quite plain. If he's standing out in the field with a bunch of other horses I can guarantee you he will not be the first one you look at.
  2. He's at least 16.1 hh for most that is a great size for me it is way too stinking big!
  3. His front ankles do have some slight "rounding" on them. Obviously there is some wear & tear in there.
  4. He's not overly affectionate (although that has certainly gotten better over the past two years.)
I'll just stop there. When I look at those facts I do find myself asking why? Why did I buy this horse? 

Well let's see:
  1. I've already had my flashy horse. 
    Bugs the epitome of flashy... too bad he was also a little nutty
  2. I can't really say anything about his size. He's too big for me and I've just learned to live with it. However, Bugs was only 15.1 or 2 which was really a "perfect" size for me and yet he absolutely did not work out at all. So clearly size isn't everything. :P
  3. I had the ankles x-rayed and they were surprisingly quite clean, no chips and no arthritis. 
  4. As I said earlier he has become much more affectionate as time has gone on. 
Of course these aren't the real reasons I ended up buying Loki. The real reason is hard to define. The first time I sat on him I literally felt something special. It made me say "wow" even though to anyone watching I'm sure there wasn't anything special to see. It was just a feeling.

My trainer had originally picked up Monte, Loki's brother from a different mother-literally, with me in mind. And I really tried to want him but from my very first ride on Loki I was just pulled in his direction like I was metal and he was a giant sized horse magnet. I did fight it for a few weeks, though. (At this point I also have to add that the fact that he came from my trainer was a big plus. I'd already bought a horse without the help of a trainer (Bugs again) and I was determined NOT to make that same mistake.)

I think what really sealed the deal for me, though, was during his pre-purchase exam my vet at the time couldn't say enough good things about him. He really liked him a lot even with the not so perfect ankles.

And that as they say is that. And while there are days that I question myself I do love the big guy very much.
We're slowly learning to fly together

6 comments:

  1. You can't fight your instincts, I had a similar feeling when I sat on Apollo for the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gutt instinct is a sure fire winner - there is always something unnameable that drags us towards "the one".
    Love that last photo of the two of you - the red & black combo looks fantastic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way with Red!! You two look great together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh you two are great together! I rem when you bought him and then had to leave and go back to Japan, so crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww great story! Meant to be! :)

    ReplyDelete