Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Offender

I know it is Saturday and most people are out doing fun things but I have a few moments before I have to take the kids to their football games so I figured I'd squeeze a post in, but it will be a quickie. :)

I figured I'd show you Loki's splint. I'm not joking when I say it is huge. It is HUGE! I'm a little embarrassed to even show it because as you know I am riding him again but he is sound and who knows when or even if it will ever go down to some semblance of normal. Every professional I've talked to has said to go ahead and start riding/working him but it still makes me feel very self conscious. Luckily I can wear boots most of the time, just not in the dressage ring, otherwise he never goes without at least a pair of splint boots. I suppose that is a little like closing the barn door after the cows get out but at least it will help to prevent another.

Why hello huge, ugly bump. I'm pretty sure that is not how a horse leg is supposed to look.
But aside from his leg flaw Loki is a picture of health right now.
Hopefully this thing will remold and go down soon!

9 comments:

  1. Don't worry too much! I used to think the same way when I first got Fiction (he has a variety of ugly scars) but then I stopped caring. What matters the most is the horse's health and comfort! He looks gorgeous, bump and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry's got one that started out pretty close to that size. Same spot too, just other leg. It's gone down a lot now. Still big, but no longer looks like a golf ball stuck to his leg. And it's never bothered him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splints are no fun to look at, but no bother for the horse. You are right to just keep riding him, I bet it will go down at least a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a giant splint!! But try not to fret about it too much. They happen and end up just being cosmetic. You already know this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is random, but his coat is absolutely gorgeous right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splints once cold are just cosmetic, don't worry about it! I bought Ramone with an old splint. He's no worse for wear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad he's okay in spite of the splint. He otherwise looks very nice and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is big...BOT wraps will help it shrink...I know it makes no difference to the horse though! Glad he is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it'll go down eventually. in the meantime, glad he's sound and happily back in work!

    ReplyDelete