Thursday, November 6, 2014

Joe Meyer Clinic

It's hard to believe but I think Loki is getting bored with these little fences. I know he is
capable of having really tight knees but he's kind of like "meh" over these little jumps anymore.
I will get to the other "Breakdown" post eventually! But, yesterday I got to ride with Joe Meyer for a jumping lesson. This is probably the third or maybe fourth time I've ridden with Joe. For those of you who don't know Joe is a New Zealand Olympic 3-Day rider based out of Ocala. A girl in our area bought a horse from him about two years ago so he came up and did an impromptu clinic at the farm where I board Loki. Ever since then he's started coming back pretty regularly.

Mostly we've been working on Loki's canter when I ride with Joe. He has us canter... a lot! Big circles and little circles and anywhere in between. One of his favorite exercises is to have me canter a circle with the reins in my outside hand. It's amazing how much better I sit the canter when I do that.

I rode with Joe last month too and it was such a super lesson. By the end everything was set around 2'11, the biggest course Loki and I have ever strung together by far. It was such a high! This time we kept everything a little smaller and the lesson was truly about what was happening between the jumps rather than the jumps themselves. We did lots of turns and roll backs and just things to help Loki and I work on staying balanced and adjusting our speed.
It was a good lesson and I did learn a lot, like I need to be quicker to sit up and lift my hands to adjust Loki after a jump, not stronger - just quicker! But, man I had the hardest time concentrating for some reason. My brain was just somewhere else. I think maybe because it was a last minute thing. My trainer texted me that he had an opening in an hour and could I be there? So it was rush rush rush and get to the barn and Loki is the Burr unicorn and rush rush rush some more. By the time I was actually in the saddle I was totally discombobulated and I just never quite got it back together. Seriously, it's been a long time since I've had that much trouble remembering a course! I forgot the last fence like 3 times in a row! It was a little embarrassing.

But I guess we all have days like that from time to time.
Still, my husband was able to get a couple of nice pictures. I wish he could have been there for when we were jumping bigger but pictures are my favorite part aside from the actual ride itself so I'll take what I can get!

19 comments:

  1. Wow, look at you go! Those are sizeable jumps and you look very tight and confident over them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two look amazing! Loki looks so confident over the jumps and so do you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we are definitely feeling very confident at this height and it is starting to show!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fab clinic, especially as you have ridden with JM before; so you can carry over the learnings. You guys look awesome, what a wonderful improvement you've made together this summer.
    ☺☺☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice!! Joe seems like a super cool guy. I'd love to ride with him sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy riding with him quite a bit... the accent doesn't hurt ;)

      Delete
  5. You have a beautiful position! Sounds like a fun clinic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys look super! I have been working on the space between the jumps as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously he looks so comfortable out there!! Go you for jumping in last min that's hard??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lower leg is looking perfect, you guys look like your having so much fun. I'd be discombobulated too if I had a last minute lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great pics!! sounds like a fun, productive lesson, even with having to rush around. i might try that one-handed canter trick, as i pretty much suck at sitting the canter lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting your mind right a big challenge for every ammy rider at some point, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! Sounds like a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete