Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Waiting Is So Very Hard To Do

I'm sorry for being away for so long again. I wrote many posts in my head over the past week or so but never got around to actually writing them because I've just been in this limbo/pins and needles place waiting to hear the worst. I'm not sure there are too many things I hate more than waiting!

Here is the news on Loki:

This is NOT a chip. This part is great news! It is mineralization in the bone, however, not so great news. What does that mean? Well basically it is some arthritic changes. This sounds horrible to me but my vet was pretty positive. It's small and it isn't in a location to cause lots of problems. It's not a fragment from a fracture which means there most likely isn't any loose pieces floating around damaging the cartilage in the joint. (Keep in mind that I am simply relaying my understanding of our conversation. I'm sure I'm missing some of the finer points, etc.) The bottom line is my vet doesn't feel that surgery is something we should rush into right now. *Big ol' Happy Dance* Seriously, with the move coming up and everything else going on I wasn't sure how we were going to pay for this.

For now we are simply going to monitor how he is doing. He's not lame now and he wasn't really lame when the vet looked at him. My vet is actually more concerned with his hocks as that is where he seems the most sore. If he starts to feel worse or if something changes we will have to reevaluate but for now we'll just carry on.

I will be making some adjustments to our training schedule/routine. Less jumping and collection work. I will also be very careful about making sure he is warmed up properly and using my BoT wraps to keep his joints nice and warm before and after we work out. Stuff like that.

Sorry so long. I tried to keep it brief and to the point. I have some exciting news coming next week. I can't wait to share!

BTW Happy (late) Easter!

10 comments:

  1. Yay! That's great news compared to what it could have been!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news!!!

    Cute family pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab family pics & great news. Hope all goes well with the move planning

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it wasn't a chip! And you have such a cute family! Good luck this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I have to ask . . . is that two stuffed and one live animal?

    Hopefully Loki will come right and the vet is correct that surgery is not needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, they are all stuffed. Nothing says easter like cute stuffed animals!

      Delete
  6. That is definitely better news than it could have been. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. bummer about the arthritic changes- but good news that it can potentially be maintained without surgery - wishing you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it turned out to not be a chip!!

    ReplyDelete