Thursday, May 14, 2015

In The Moment - No, Not That Moment!

First let me start with an apology for the down in the dumps post written previously. Honestly, I should've waited a little longer before writing that because I was still sort of "in the moment" and so not the moment to live in. Now that I've gotten some extra sleep, ridden my horse and found time to ponder I'm feeling much better.

I have three perfectly good barn options for the move and lots of upcoming chances to make new friends and learn new things. Who knows maybe Loki and I will play in the hunters for a little while. Loki has been getting more and more adjustable lately. (Truth be told the hunter world is totally intimidating to me - the ability to get the striding right through an entire course of jumps and make it look like no big deal = major talent!) And if we go to the West Point barn which I think we will I'll only be a 5-7 minute drive away. That is something I am very much looking forward to.

Oh and for anyone who might be worried about our cats, don't be. They will be taken care of one way or another. We're not the kind of people to just dump them at the nearest animal shelter. I'm not sure what the plan is yet but we'll think of something.

Here is a better moment and one I'd much rather live in than the worry and stress of moving:
Right before we left for New York I went XC schooling with a bunch of folks from the barn. I didn't know that our photographer friend was going to be there so we weren't the best turned out but I was still so excited to be able to get pictures.

I haven't seen any others yet but this is the one that I especially requested. This is the training level trakehner at Twin Towers. I know it looks incredibly little in the picture but believe me it looks much larger in person. Loki and I took a while to warm up that day but when we got there it felt so easy and natural like putting on warm, fuzzy slippers. There was no rushing, there was no nit-picking all the way up to the jump, I didn't get left behind (at least not often) It just felt right.

It used to be that when I put my leg on and asked Loki to move up into the bit his response was to grab the bit, bear down and run around like a freight train on his forehand but now he is finally starting to understand that there are other options. Now when I put my leg on and ask he is starting to respond by moving up not just faster. I really never thought we would get here. We still have a long way to go but this is a major accomplishment for my off track boy and his strictly amateur mom.

I really, truly could go on and on about how great it was... but I won't. :) I'll leave it here. If you left a comment in the earlier posts that I haven't responded to just know that I did see them and I really appreciate all of them. I've just been super busy and haven't had the time I'd like to respond. Thank you so much for your kind words, though!

Oh! and we did sign up for Mid-south Pony Club Horse Trial! (I sold my old saddle so got some extra money to go, yippee!) So we'll hopefully (*knock on wood) get to do one event this summer and it is on my birthday so hopefully a great weekend. It's not till June but I'll keep you updated. TTFN!

12 comments:

  1. Well done, trakehners are always bigger in person I think!
    Glad you're feeling better about your move, sounds like you have a few options.

    With regards to hunters though, look at your brave cross country machine!! Just kidding, hunters sounds like a lot of fun.. not my cup of tea but I would be so super interested to see an eventer switch to hunters. See what you find and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that you will figure out what works best for you and Loki :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'LL BE AT MIDSOUTH TOO! We have to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a great picture!! glad you had fun - and even more glad that you're feeling better about the move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um.

    girl, that trakehner looks huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely thought so too but in the picture it just looks really small to me.

      Delete
  6. Ugh, Trakehners are the one jump on this planet that no matter how many times I jump, I go "holy jesus christ almighty HORSE SAVE ME"... even if I am just circling round, and round, and round. You guys look good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uhm. Every XC jump looks huge to me!! Haha. And sometimes you just need a moment to moan & groan and then... you look at the positive like you've done here and realize it's all going to be okay <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look fantastic in that photo! Those jumps are scary! Glad to hear things are going well

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look fantastic in that photo! Those jumps are scary! Glad to hear things are going well

    ReplyDelete